Relationship between plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 gene alterations and fibrosis in peritoneal dialysis patients


Cura D. O., Yildiz S., Ataman E., Ersan S., Tanrisev M., ÜLGENALP A., ...More

THERAPEUTIC APHERESIS AND DIALYSIS, vol.25, no.1, pp.97-102, 2021 (SCI-Expanded) identifier identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 25 Issue: 1
  • Publication Date: 2021
  • Doi Number: 10.1111/1744-9987.13501
  • Journal Name: THERAPEUTIC APHERESIS AND DIALYSIS
  • Journal Indexes: Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED), Scopus, EMBASE, MEDLINE
  • Page Numbers: pp.97-102
  • Keywords: plasminogen activator inhibitor-1, peritoneal dialysis, peritoneal fibrosis, SERPINE1 gene, PROMOTER POLYMORPHISM, MEMBRANE, TRANSPORT, PAI-1, TRANSITION, FAILURE, RISK
  • Dokuz Eylül University Affiliated: Yes

Abstract

Peritoneal fibrosis (PF) is a pathological change that occurs mostly long-term peritoneal dialysis (PD) patients, as a result of triggering the inflammatory response. Plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 (PAI-1) is an important molecule featured in the development of fibrosis. It has been shown in literature that PAI-1 gene alterations are associated with fibrosis in many tissues and organs. However, PAI-1 gene alterations in long-term PD patients have not yet been investigated. In this study, PAI-1 4G/5G polymorphism was examined by reverse hybridization, and all coding exons of the PAI-1 gene were examined by sequence analysis to provide treatment modification in patients with predisposition before fibrosis develops. The patients were divided into two groups according to ultrafiltration failure test and duration of PD treatment: those with suspected PF or a high probability of developing PF (36%) and those with a low probability of developing PF (64%). There was no significant difference between the two groups in findings such as peritoneal equilibration test (PET), Kt/V, the content of the PD solution used, peritonitis, and PAI-1 4G/5G polymorphism (P > .05). A total of eight gene alterations (rs2227660, rs2227668, rs2854233, rs41281004, rs61553169, rs368413856, rs2227684) were detected by sequence analysis, one of which was exonic (rs6092). When the genotype distributions of these variants were examined, no significant difference was found between the two groups. PAI-1 gene changes were not detected in patients with the probability of developing PF. There is a need for further studies involving other molecules responsible for predisposing to PF with larger patient populations in patients undergoing long-term PD treatment.